Happy New Year… Now bring on Spring!
Happy New Year to all of the friends of the Kentucky Horse Park Foundation! I hope that 2014 brings you – and the Kentucky Horse Park – many new opportunities, some happy surprises, and the chance to celebrate both with dear friends.
As I write this, I am looking out my office window at mounds of snow, overcast gray skies, and a bitterly cold wind ruffling the tree branches. Brrrr, it has already been a tough winter in Kentucky, and we still have a ways to go.
To get through these dreary days, I try and think about all of the things I am looking forward to at the park when spring rolls around. And the list is long:
· A new Road to the Horse competition in Alltech Arena from March 13-16 – such fun! And such enthusiastic fans this event brings to the park!
· Six weeks of daily visits to the park by thousands of Kentucky elementary-school children beginning in mid-March, as part of the Kentucky Horse Park Literacy Program “Literacy Days” activities. Horses + Books = a winning combination for sure!
· The re-opening of the Kentucky Horse Park’s “season” in mid-March featuring new museum exhibits, shows and visitor attractions celebrating the “Treasures of the Bluegrass.”
· The incredible Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event and Kentucky Reining Cup taking place at the park on April 24-27. Good food, good friends, and great equestrian competition!
· A new set of Cross Country Schooling Days where I will have fun watching hundreds of horses and riders schooling on the beautiful cross country course on May 4 and 5.
· The return of the High Hope Steeplechase to the park on Sunday, May 18 – I am sooooo excited for this event!
· Did I mention sunshine, blue skies, warm breezes, spring flowers and happy horses??
If you also have the winter doldrums, just spend a few minutes daydreaming about springtime in Lexington at the Kentucky Horse Park, and I know you will feel better soon!
And when you are daydreaming about spring at the park, take a second to pat yourself on the back – because it is YOUR faithful friendship and generous support of the Kentucky Horse Park Foundation that makes all of these activities possible.
To quote an old song, “You are our Sunshine!”